"Your online book reviews can make a real difference."
- The point of a book review is to make a recommendation. Your verdict doesn't have to be an absolute yes or an absolute no. Offering a nuanced opinion of a book often makes a more interesting review.
- Don't go on too long. Online book reviews should be brief and concise.
- Provide just enough summary so that your points are clear to your readers.
- Don't trash the book because it wasn't what you expected.
- Don't spoil it. If you're reviewing a work of fiction, don't give away key plot points or the ending of the story.
- Don't be nasty. If you didn't enjoy the book, don't be insulting or snide. Let your reader know calmly and unemotionally why you were disappointed.
- Don't give the book a bad review if you're really mad about something else. If you bought the book online and experienced bad customer service, don't take it out on the poor author with a one-star review and a rant about shipping delays.